How to Prepare for Your Virtual College Visit

When most students picture themselves on a campus tour, they are following the words and footsteps of a student tour guide, visiting dorms, walking through dining halls and classrooms, and exploring the surrounding city. But the norm has shifted this year. You will probably experience your first online tours, and you may be unsure about how to make the most of your virtual visits.

To fully experience a campus virtually, it’s vital to go in prepared. There are countless things you can do before your virtual visit to help paint a full picture of campus life. Luckily, we’ve created a checklist that will help set you on the path toward your dream school!

• Become familiar with the college’s website. Start by checking out the homepage. This will give you a glimpse of their core values, distinguished programs, and campus feel.
  • Follow their social media channels. Get a feel for events, culture, and daily life on campus.
  • Read the student newspaper. Most schools have a student-led newspaper that shares stories about student and city life.
  • Do a fly-by on Google Maps. Get a bird’s eye view of campus and map out buildings, dining halls, dorms, and other landmarks. Is everything walkable? Are there cafés or restaurants nearby? Any natural areas?
  • Email admissions. Getting in touch with a campus expert can help answer your questions and fill in the details about campus life. Take it a step further and ask admissions to connect you with a current student!

Now, it’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy your virtual tour!

Want to virtually visit Wisconsin’s finest private, nonprofit colleges and universities? The 24th annual Wisconsin Private College Week (July 27–August 1, 2020) is the perfect time for high school students, transfer students, returning adults, and their families to virtually experience campuses across the state.

Register for Wisconsin Private College Week and virtually experience 23 of Wisconsin’s finest colleges and universities!